The bucket size is: 28x28x40cm height (11x11x16”) and takes around 20 litres of waste (slightly larger than a standard pedal bin)
- Collect all your food waste in a 3 litre ice cream container – it is the perfect amount to put into your bin at one time.
- To ensure that there are less airlocks in your bin contents, cut up watermelon rinds into smaller blocks.
- Leftover cat food has been added to food waste, with no problems.
- To push down the new waste in the bin, a potato masher or simply your hand in a plastic bag can be used.
- If you have a small garden, cut the bottom off a 30 to 40 litre plastic pot and bury about 10 cm in the soil. Empty the contents of your bin into the pot and then cover with 3 to 5 cm of garden or potting soil.
- When you sprinkle the bran, use as much as you would use flour on a surface before you roll dough.
- Drain the liquid into a easy to pour container – excess Bokashi juice can be kept for a few days in a 1 litre milk bottle.
- By keeping two buckets, you are able to collect more valuable liquid per bucket and waste kept in a bucket for nearly a month, breaks down quicker.